Tuesday, June 17, 2008



Hello kiddies....

I'm gonna blather quickly about the last Grumpus show...then move on to something more fun to write about...namely...ME! and FOOD! aaaaaaaaaaaaand how its 1000 degrees outside..like the surface of the planey mercury...without the groovy veiw.

anyway yeah...june 15th. Sunday.This was the bill and this is my in depth anal-isis:

first band up....

Fucked Up Krew-
looked very punk but actually live it and mean it..... it worked! It worked well! They had a Brit-punk thing goin...like a mix of vintage U.K. SUBS and DISCHARGE.....and a dash of CHAOS U.K.
I'm certain no one sounds remotely like them in Tucson...so they have their own territory and That is always bueno. REALLY nice people too...much more fun then anybody in CALEXICO(the band...not the scary little bordertown to Mexicali...I'll shut up now.

Then...as if by some satanic magic the Grumpus staff(hahahahaha...oooooohhhK) was conned and cajoled into letting a brand new band make their 10 minnit debut right after FUK. Forgive me if I get it wrong but were they called JESUS CHRIST and the MORNING AFTER PILLS?(ed note...actually it was Sweet Jesus and the Morning After Pills)

second band up...

SWEET JESUS and the MORNING AFTER PILLS-

Four songs...bassist was working so no bass. Very classic HC. I liked them. I'll write more when I see them at full strength...which I hope is soon.

Then...

BAD BLOOD (from BROOKLYN)
Wow...like a swirling churning snarling mix of classic BORN AGAINST and something midwest on the TOUCH n GO label...say...1989? Seriously a killer sheet of noise and tension and bubbling subsonic melody. I recommend them..they were excellent! Kudos to the crowd for paying at the door and being a nice wall of warm bodies to represent Tucson. I'm thinking they left with a good impression.

Then last...STANDARD DEVIANCE.

Holly the bassist drank something day-glo green and was...um...drunk and still played fine.
Bere the guitarist wailed like Zakk Wilde and the drummer looked and played like the geriatric poop-log he is. A good 17 minute set.

There you have it...a sunday nite at the bellydancing capital of southern arizona...TUCSON.

More importantly...FOOD! My recommendation today to the bands coming is to hit

EL TORERO...two blocks from Grumpus on 231 E 26th St and 4th ave

that is their Topopo salad....mmmmmmmmm

And if you are wondering what the grumpus looks like inside...thats coming soon...


buhbye

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Their mole is outstanding!
You should all try it!